A famous building in Santiago de Compostela
Hostal de los Reyes Católicos lies on the north side of Praza do Obradoiro, the square in front of the main entrance of the cathedral. It is probably the most well-known building in Santiago after the cathedral. The construction took place between 1501 and 1511 by order of the Reyes Católicos, Catholic Kings, Fernando de Aragón and Isabel de Castilla. It was a hospital and albergue for pilgrims.
By order of the dictator Franco the building was converted into a Parador, now a five-star-hotel. The hotel maintains the tradition to offer daily a free breakfast, lunch, and dinner to ten pilgrims. They have to show their Compostela and passport. Ticketts can be obtained at the Pilgrims Office on arrival in Santiago de Compostela. The privilege is valid for a period of three days, the day of getting the Compostela included.